Sunday, January 17, 2016
Movie Pass 2016
My buddy purchased a Movie Pass a few years ago and had been encouraging me to do the same. I'm not sure why I never did. Maybe because at the time I couldn't justify the $35 monthly fee. Sure, I could see an unlimited number of movies a month (actually one every 24 hours), but could I, a self-proclaimed movie snob, really find 3 or 4 that were worth my time? Even if I found that many to watch every month, would those of the independent variety, which I preferred, be included? My buddy kept showing me that all of my favorite movie houses were part of the plan, but I had trouble believing him.
I would soon find out how the card worked.
Shortly after Christmas 2015 I spent a few days at my buddy's place in Nashville. He's a salesman, and he watches movies during lulls in his day. He continued to proclaim the card's merits, finally convincing me to give it a try.
I received my Movie Pass on Saturday, Jan. 9, and "The Big Short" was the first movie I saw using it. Things couldn't have gone more smoothly. I had downloaded the app on my IPhone prior to arriving at the theatre. When I got out of my car I tapped "check in" on the app by finding the theatre and the movie. I then walked to the ticket counter and showed the card to the attendant. My movie ticket was printed, and I was on my way.
The Big Short (1/9), Regal Magnolia
I had read the book, which was much better than the movie. But seeing this many "stars" was quite the thrill. In fact, they carried things for me, as I found the script flimsy. Knowing how the movie ended spoiled things a bit for me as well. All in all, though, it was very enjoyable. I especially liked the classic rock soundtrack.
4/5 stars
Brooklyn (1/12), Tamarac Cinema 5
The theatre didn't honor the Movie Pass. I was already there, though, so I simply paid for my ticket. And boy was it worth it! I know it's early in 2016 but this will likely be my movie of the year. The performances were genuine, especially the Jim Farrell character played by Domhnall Gleeson, who reminded me of a young Brad Pitt (think "A River Runs Through It") mixed with Lillo Brancato of "The Bronx Tale."
5/5 stars
Mustang, Regal Cinemas Shadowood
Coming of age movie for five sisters who apparently lost their parents in a freak accident. Forced to live with their elders, they simply want the freedom to make their own decisions. When forced to marry, they decide that enough is enough. An empowering movie that left the audience cheering.
4/5 stars
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment